Around the world on solar energy.
Three days ago this catamaran, with motors powered by solar energy, left Monaco on the first solar boat expedition around the world. Valued at 14 million euros, the boat is owned by German billionaire, Immo Ströher who made his fortune from solar energy.
Energy is stored in the batteries by day and the catamaran can continue sailing on stored energy without sunlight for about three days. She will follow an equatorial route in order to take advantage of the most sunshine. Her first port of call will be in the Canaries - she'll travel across the Atlantic, the Panama Canal, the Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean on a cruise that is scheduled to last 160 days. You can follow this record-breaking voyage day by day on the Planet Solar website which is available in English, French and German.
To quote from the website: 'PlanetSolar aims in a nutshell:
- Demonstrate the potential for renewable energies and photovoltaic
- To show that today we have the technology required for sustainability
- To take part in the technological development of renewable energy and advance scientific research
- To inform and make the public aware of the importance of renewable energy
- To make the best use of energy efficiency
- To show that the economy and ecology can and must work together.'